Stealing MySpace (by Julia Angwin) by Blackstone Audio, Inc
STEALING MYSPACE by Julia Angwin (unabridged) is presented by Blackstone Audio and comes with what is perhaps the best audiobook app available (see FEATURES, below).
“Angwin skillfully blends personal sagas with business dramas, which makes for a fascinating, entertaining read.” (BookPage)
This is the fascinating story of MySpace, a company that rose from humble beginnings to become the biggest Internet site in the world. This savvy, smart business narrative features obsessive characters, relentless and unlikely innovation, and dizzying back-room deal making, all centered around an epic battle for control.
Self-contained, this audiobook app is perfect for your commute, on a trip, or while relaxing. Based on a library-quality recording, this app was built especially for your iPhone and iPod Touch. No unreadable text, no endless scrolling on a tiny screen. The audio is of higher-than-normal quality, making for a great listening experience that will not tire your ears or grate on your nerves.
NOTICE: This app includes the exact same 5-star recording offered elsewhere at much higher prices. It was professionally recorded by Blackstone Audio’s Earphones® Award-winning narrator, Paul Michael Garcia. You are not buying yet another amateur or volunteer narration. No clicks, background noises, throat clearing, mispronunciations, tinny voices or monotones will be found here.
“This engrossing look at how MySpace became a media powerhouse will find a solid audience of business history, technology, and entrepreneurship readers.” (Publishers Weekly)
• EXPERIENCE. About 11.5 hours of narration. Created as a Folium enhancedAudio™ edition, this book includes extra functions and features not found on lesser players.
• PLAYER CONTROLS. Includes listen (play), pause, multi-speed fast forward/reverse, jump ahead/back, chapter skip, volume control, one-touch chapter- and bookmark browser. There is also a “scrub” bar that finds any point inside the chapter with just a tap.
• SLEEP TIMER. Have you ever fallen asleep watching TV or listening to a book? If so, you'll love this feature. Once set, the book will stop, place a bookmark, and allow you to jump back to where you probably began dozing.
• CLEAR & ELEGANT DESIGN. Simple, clean, intuitive, and smarter than average.
• CHAPTER TIMINGS. Always know how much time it will take to finish a chapter. Plus, the progress bar at the top of the screen shows how far into the book you’ve come.
• OFFLINE LISTENING. You are airplane-ready! Once downloaded, listen uninterrupted without threat from a lost network connection. Downloads are usually just 5-10 minutes, but depend upon your network speed.
• AUTO-BOOKMARKING. The player remembers where you stopped listening and returns to that exact spot when you open the book again.
• TELL-A-FRIEND. An easy way to recommend the book to your friends or Twitter feed.
• FEEDBACK. Share your ideas for books, functions, and features. We are very responsive to our listeners and appreciate all feedback and ideas.
RATING: Suitable for people interested in social networking, Web 2.0, Internet startups, and modern technology companies.
This is the story of MySpace, a powerhouse Internet company that rose from humble beginnings to become nothing less than one of the centerpieces of Rupert Murdoch’s media empire. No one would have predicted that this company—barely funded, technologically inept, conceptually derivative, and driven by rivalries—would morph into the biggest Internet site in the world. This fascinating and surprising story includes all the elements of a great business narrative: obsessive characters, relentless and unlikely innovation, and dizzying backroom deal-making—all centered around an epic battle for control.
Acclaimed journalist Julia Angwin delivers a savvy, smart account reminiscent of Kurt Eichenwald and Barbarians at the Gate.